I just wanted to get down some thoughts I've had on some movies I've watched recently, but not full reviews.
Here's a list of all of them first.
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
Titanic (1997)
Chinatown (1974)
The Florida Project (2017)
The Dark Knight (2008)
I've seen this movie at least a dozen times, but it never fails to elicit a response from me. There are scenes, usually Joker scenes, that give me chills. Heath Ledger's performance is absolutely incredible. I know, I know, I'm re-treading very trod-en ground here.
What inspired me to re-watch this one was actually the Movies with Mikey video essay on it, which you can see by clicking most of this sentence. Its a very interesting take on the film, and isn't a retread. I highly suggest it, and all his video essays in general. I mostly just wanted to say this movie still holds up and to point people to Mikey.
Oh here's a thought. I didn't think about the dumpster fire that is the DCEU during the film at all after the DC Logo first came on screen. This movie totally erased that dreck from my mind. DC and Warner Bros shat the bed so hard with BvS and Justice League, it's almost unbelievable compared to TDK.
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
In my ongoing attempts to introduce my wife to my childhood, TMAOWTP (as its known in certain circles, just kidding no its not that's ridiculous) was an obvious choice. One problem. There do not exist Indonesian subtitles for this movie.
I've found subs for what I thought were obscure movies, but not this one. We've been trying to watch this movie since we went to Disneyland Hong Kong, almost a year ago (read about that by clicking this link) and I still have not found subtitles. So we finally decided to just watch it without and she'll ask me if she has any questions.
Didn't have any problems. It's easy enough to follow, though Pooh does seem to have a pretty advanced vocabulary for being a "bear of very little brain".
But anyway, it's a cute movie. Still got some laughs.
Titanic (1997)
I have no idea where this came from, but a week or so ago I just randomly thought about this movie and decided maybe its worth a watch. To keep things relatively short, there is an alright movie in here somewhere. A technical achievement, definitely. Good action. The ship sinking sequence (IE the last 45 minutes of the film) is compelling and occasionally touching.
Shame most of the characters are flat as a board. The major exception is Kate Winslet's fantastic performance as Rose. She is an incredible actress, and in almost every scene really sells her character's thoughts, emotions, inner turmoil, etc. She gave a better performance than was written. I can't speak to her deserving the Best Actress Oscar, because I haven't seen the other performances she was up against, but in general I'd put Kate Winslet over Helen Hunt every time.
But Jack is such a boring stock character. Leo has given some good performances, but this is not one of them.
That said, James Cameron knows how to build a mood and get some emotions, and there were emotional moments to be had. I think they all would have landed better if the rest of the movie had been written better. I did not feel for Jack at all, even when he died and sank into the water.
The modern-day story-line also drags a bit, but I didn't hate it.
The ending of the movie sucks though. Don't throw the stone into the ocean you old hag! And then that last scene, that has the implication of it being her last moments and/or the afterlife, she's together with JACK? This woman who we know had a husband and children and grandchildren? That's garbo. He saved your life repeatedly, yes, but he wasn't worth being your one true love. He was a piece of cardboard. Oh btw spoilers...
Overall, its alright. Worth seeing, but don't expect high art. Expect a technical achievement with a great boat sinking sequence.
Chinatown (1974)
I don't know how to write anything about a Roman Polanski movie without the whole Roman Polanski thing coming up. I tried to just ignore it but I couldn't. I tried to talk about it, but that was worse.
So let me just say that this movie is fantastic. Roman Polanski made a great film, even if he did some awful things. I didn't financially support him, so I feel fine having watched Chinatown.
But man is it a good movie. Remember to give it time. It may seem to start slow, but it builds incredibly and the last fifteen/twenty minutes are perfect. Actually it's all perfect, I just mean that it's worth the slow burn.
Not ashamed to say I got choked up. There is a reason this screenplay is held aloft as the greatest screenplay of all time. All the performances are stellar, everything works perfectly. Sets, costume, casting, music, everything. Worth watching, for sure. (Just maybe buy used or something if the whole Polanski thing bothers you, so you're not directly supporting him).
The Florida Project (2017)
It's actually been a hot minute since I first watched this, but its a great movie that I want to plug a bit here for anyone who hasn't seen it.
I almost don't want to say anything about this movie, because I think the experience is better when you do experience it fresh. I think that about most/all movies, but something like this is just so present, despite it not taking place in present day, that you're doing yourself a major disservice by not experiencing it in the moment as it unfolds.
So let me just say I loved this movie. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it, though I hear the director's other work has a similar style.
Performances were stellar. The movie is gonna open and you're gonna see kids and think "oh crap, child actors, this is going to be rough" but you will be 100% incorrect. Performances were stellar, even and maybe especially from the children. I love me some Wilem Dafoe but he wasn't even the best part of this movie.
For those that might care, I do wanna give you a minor content warning. If you're sensitive to swear words or implications of sexual activity then, well, don't watch it I guess. Its a masterpiece though.
Aaaand, I think that's all for this time. I may do this sort of short-review format again in the future. We'll see!
No comments:
Post a Comment