Sunday, October 20, 2024

Hey, a blog! aka the Return of Me

Yeah, here I am, posting on my BLAG again.

Life has been kind of wild the last few years, for everyone what with that global pandemic and everything. But also, personally, golly jeez things have been rough.

Yet I persist. Here I am!

I like writing. I haven't done enough external writing lately, or like... for a long time. Facebook used to be my main choice for shouting into the void, at least in little snippets, but ever since they unceremoniously locked my account and refused to give it back to me despite multiple proofs that I was indeed the account holder, I haven't even had those brief intermittent shouts. And by external writing, I mean writing that is meant to go out, and in relatively short order. Sure, I've written notes on things. I've brainstormed ideas. I've worked on things here and there. I've even journaled, some. But all of that remains inside, most of it is just for me. Theoretically some day some of those may turn into novels or screenplays or whatevers that get released. But most of it, no.

So I just wanted to express myself somehow again. Previously this spot has been mostly a place for me to share my views on various media. I've talked about movies mostly, but some music, at least one book, and even the In-Flight Entertainment version of Tetris. This sort of thing, critiques and comments on media I consume, may indeed continue.

BUT it shant be all. Oh no, I have more in mind for this place. I am going to create. Fiction, non-fiction. Musings. Stories. I dunno, it could be all of that or none of that. Or, well, it will be at least one of those things, considering that as I write this I have a draft of a fiction short story already written. I even edited it some. I have misgivings about posting it in it's current state. I worry that people will assume it is auto-biographical in some sense, particularly since it's written in a first-person present tense POV (though the identity of the narrator, and even their gender, are not really revealed in any real way). But eh, whatever. I shall let the people read into it what they shall, and if they make assumptions, that's their right as a person. Just as I, as the author, have the right to not clarify my intent if I don't want to.

I also think there's more to this idea, to the concept of the short story, that could be explored, and I don't know if I've really explored it in the amount of depth that I want to in just what I've written there. So I will revisit. I will see if I should expand it. Maybe I'll write another short in the same "universe" and see where that takes me. Anyway... if you somehow see this post before that one is published, I won't keep you waiting long. I promise! 

Edit to add: It's here! I posted that short story I was mentioning!

That's another thing I want to get out of this. I want an external motivation, I want something to keep me... honest is the wrong word but it's the first that comes to mind. I need a deadline. I need a specific goal. If I am un-goaled, if I have no specific target to aim for, I tend to meander. I tend not to actually finish things. Sometimes I don't even start the things that I want to start. In dedicating myself to writing posts here, I hope that I can force myself to actually focus and work on something. To that end, my goal is post once a week, perhaps once a month if things get crazy and I'm busy. I won't post boring nothings just to say "well I hit my goal." They have to be real posts. Either a short story, an excerpt of another story, a critique, something. I need a goal to keep me moving. So my goal is to write, to post here, and see whatever comes of it.

Anyway, here I am rambling again. That seems to be my way, at times. I'll stop here, for now. Maybe I'll re-read that short story and decide if it needs to be explored more in that story, in another story, or whatever. 

But yeah, more is coming. I'm back, baybee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

On the Subject of Serious Subjects

I struggle with writing about serious subjects. There is a part of me that wants to come out and declare certain things, to say things about...